I love Apple. I own a macbook pro. I own an iPhone 4. I wish I owned an iPad. I really don’t see myself buying an Apple TV anytime soon.
Not because it isn’t a good product, its just that I already own a much better one. No this isn’t some hacked together Boxee setup. Its my 32″ Sony Bravia TV (which I love). Yes, just the TV. Nothing hooked up to it. Just the TV.
Let’s see what the Apple TV offers:
- Stream TV episodes and movies purchased on iTunes
- Watch Netflix
- AirPlay (which is kind of cool but inherently flawed in the fact that when I switch it to the TV from say my iPad, I’d like to use the iPad for some other task.)
Now most people don’t realize this and guests usually do a double take when they see it, my TV has some apps that come bundles with the TV. And guess what, they can kill the Apple TV any day. Here’s some of the stuff on it:
- Video on Demand provided by Amazon AND Qriocity
- Youtube, Yahoo, Dailymotion, CBS and blip.tv
- Pandora (listening to it right now) and Slacker Radio
- Picture frame mode with Picase, Photobucker and Shutterfly hook-ups
- Coming this Fall: HULU Plus
See what I mean. I already have something better than Apple TV. It’s my TV. And the TV table looks a lot cleaner too without ANOTHER box on it.
And may I point out that the HULU Plus makes my TV better than Apple TV
Postscript: Apple, please take this as a challenge and fix the Apple TV. I’m pretty sure you have the potential to make something awesome.